Should I Be Worried About The Ants In My Cincinnati Home?
March 15, 2023 - Ants
Ants can be a big problem for many Cincinnati homeowners. These tiny insects can cause a lot of issues in a short amount of time. If you are struggling with ants in or around your home, 1 Stop Pest Control knows just how to help. We have been providing comprehensive pest control in Cincinnati since 2012 and know how to get rid of all of the common ants in this area.
Life Cycle And Diets Of Common Ants In My House?
There are over 12,000 ant species in the world. In Cincinnati, however, you are most likely to encounter five different types of ants; the carpenter ant, pharaoh ant, pavement ant, odorous house ant, and thief ant.
All ants go through four life stages which include the following:
- Egg: The white egg is shaped like an oval and about the size of a pen point. The egg will usually hatch in about three to four weeks.
- Larva: Once the egg hatches, a tiny larva will emerge. The larva has no eyes, legs, or major organs. They do have mouths, however, and will need to eat constantly to make it to the next stage of life.
- Pupa: Once the larva grows to its maximum length, it will go through a metamorphosis where it will transform into a pupa. The pupa looks similar to an adult ant but still has no eyes, and its antennae lay flat against the back of its body. Sometimes, the pupa will go through this stage inside a cocoon, but certain species go through this stage uncovered.
- Adult: Once the pupa finishes developing, it will reach its final stage of life. Once it reaches adulthood, it will enter one of three castes; male, worker, or queen.
Adult ants like sweet and sugary foods, but for the most part, these insects will eat almost anything. The carpenter ant will mainly eat wood and can cause structural damage to your home and other wooden structures.
Simple Tips To Prevent Ants In The House
Ants will come into your home to search for food, water, and shelter. Here is a look at some of the things that you can do to keep ants out of your house:
- Keep your dry food inside airtight containers and your fruits and produce in the refrigerator.
- Don't leave your pet's food and water dish in the open all night.
- Keep a tight lid on your outdoor trash cans.
- Fix any leaky pipes or faucets that you have around your home
- Clean up water droplets around your sink and countertops as soon as you finish using the sink.
It is also a good idea to sweep, mop, and vacuum your floors often to help ensure that there are no food crumbs left around your house. Ants have the same three necessities as other animals. As long as you make sure that they are unable to access food, shelter, and water, they will be less likely to come into your home.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your Home
If you are looking for a fast and easy way to get rid of the ants in your Cincinnati home for good, give us a call today. At 1 Stop Pest Control, we use advanced tools and techniques to eliminate the ants from your house and make sure that they don't come back.
The owners are great people who care about the pest control industry and the community. I would recommend them to anyone 10/10