Cincinnati Homeowners' Complete Guide To Effective Ant Control
March 15, 2022 - Ants
Ants are a common household pest that invade Cincinnati homes year after year. While ants are less of a threat than other pests, like termites and rodents, they can still cause many issues for homeowners. If an infestation is large enough, it could affect the structure of your home or put the health of your family at risk.
Fortunately, there are effective ant control solutions available. While there are many natural remedies to try, sometimes you may need the professional help of a pest control company. This informative guide contains all you need to know about ants and why 1 Stop Pest Control is the most reliable source for pest control in Ohio.
The Kinds Of Ants That Invade Homes In Cincinnati
Effective ant control starts with being able to identify which type of pest has invaded your home. Here's a list of some of the most common types found in Cincinnati, along with their characteristics.
- Carpenter ants: This common ant species is between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch in length. They are typically black but could also be red or a combination of both black and red. They get their name from how they build their nests, through building tunnels by chewing through wood.
- Little black ants: These tiny ants are only 1/16 of an inch long. They are usually a jet black color, but they can also be dark brown. They swarm on sidewalks and they are common in wooded areas.
- Odorous house ants: These ants are known for the rotten smell they give off when crushed. They are a black or brown color and can be up to 1/8 of an inch in length.
- Pavement ants: This species is also brown or black and up to 1/8 of an inch long. They typically nest under stones and in cracks within concrete, which is what gives them their name.
- Red fire ants: This dark reddish-brown ant is 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch long. They are known to sting when provoked or if their colony is under attack, and their stings are harmful to humans.
When you discover any of these ants inside your home, it may be time for you to call 1 Stop Pest Control, your trusted provider of ant control in Cincinnati.
Why It Can Be Harmful To Have Ants In Your Home
Two main reasons why you should consider ant control in your house are the potential for structural damage within your home and health risks to you and your family. Carpenter ants build their colonies within wood, and much like termites, if a carpenter ant infestation is left unchecked, you could be forced to deal with some very expensive home repair costs. The sting of a fire ant can be extremely painful, and some people are susceptible to severe allergic reactions. To eliminate these risks, consider trying the following natural ant prevention methods or contact a professional ant pest control company.
Five Naturally Effective Ant Prevention Tips For Your Home
There are several methods of ant control for your home that can prevent these pests. Here are five household ant prevention tips you can try today.
- Clean up carefully. Ants are attracted to food spills and crumbs, so ensure all food remnants are fully cleaned up, countertops are wiped down, and floors are swept clean.
- Remove access. Ants can enter your home through the smallest of cracks or holes, so fill in potential access points and install door sweeps and weatherstripping to fill gaps around doors and windows.
- Remove ant trails. Ants leave scent trails as they travel through your home, which other ants follow to a food source. Thoroughly clean any areas you've seen ants in to disrupt their scent trail.
- Store food properly. Ants won't only come after spills and crumbs, but any food that's accessible to them. To prevent ants and other pests from invading your pantry, store all food in sturdy, airtight containers.
- Don't forget about pet food! Pet food and dishes can be an attractant for ants, so make sure your pets' dishes are picked up and washed after meals and that pet food is stored in a container that's inaccessible to pests.
If you implement any of these prevention methods and still find ants in your home, it may be time to consider professional ant control solutions.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In The House And Keep Them Out
The most effective ant control method available today is professional pest control. At 1 Stop Pest Control, we're committed to making sure your home is ant-free. Our knowledgeable, trained staff will quickly assess, identify, and eliminate any ant infestations and prevent these pests from returning. Call us today to learn more about why we're one of the most trusted sources of ant control in Cincinnati.
The owners are great people who care about the pest control industry and the community. I would recommend them to anyone 10/10